Suggestion of a ToolActivity base class

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I am creating a custom activity that would launch a tool and process the results as part of the build. I am using this library to reuse as much code as I can.

I am fairly new to TFS and activities: I am much more fluent in MSBuild. As it is quite common to wrap tools in custom MSBuild tasks, the MSBuild framework provides a base class (ToolTask) that helps you build the command line (with a CommandLineBuilder), launch the process and handle outputs. This seems not to be the case with TFS activities, and I have seen that a lot of your code regarding the handling of external processes is duplicated in your activities (CodeMetrics and NUnit for instance).

My suggestion is to create a base ToolActivity, that would probably inherit from BaseCodeActivity, and would ease the creation of a custom activity based on an external process. ToolTask could be a great source of inspiration for this.

Please let me know if you would appreciate any kind of contribution on this matter (but remember I am new to TFS activities).