This project is read-only.

Restoring Database prior to DB Build

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM

As a part of our nightly and continuous builds, we want to be restore a baseline database prior to running the database build.  That way, we are always build from a baseline, which represents the data schema that is present in our production environment.

I currently have a set of scheduled jobs to do this for our nightly environment, prior to the nightly scheduled build.

However, that's not something I can do for the continuous integration environment, that we use to confirm successful check-in of code, and give us warning of potential build issues in our nightly environment.

I am trying to use the SQLExecute activity to run a restore database script.  The database restore is initiated, but I keep running into a timeout issue.

The innermost exception is "The wait operation timed out"

Based on the log, I can see that the connection is made and the command is executing, as it has logged between 10 and 15 percent restore completion.

I tried to change the CommandTimeout property for the activity, but this didn't seem to have an impact.  I tried to adjust the connection timeout in the connectionString (though, since the connection was happening, I don't believe that was an issue).

Is there a way to execute a script and extend the timeout for the execution of that script?  I don't know if this is a bug (if so, I'll log it in the issue tracker) or I'm just not doing something correctly.

Thanks.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM

As a revision to this.  My approach appears to have worked.  I was suffering from a severe case of user error.  But once I cured that, the database restore was able to complete successfully.