This project is read-only.

Why aren't the assemblies provided strongly named?

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:48 PM
I have not previously used the Community TFS Build Extensions. I have downloaded the September 2013 release to try it out.

I have seen some comments from individuals on specific activity pages about this, but I haven't seen any replies. So I figured I would post a question in the general discussion section.

I unzipped the Community TFS Build Extensions and checked all of the assemblies for VS2012 and found the following:
  • none of the assemblies in the Code Activities\VS2012 folder are strongly named
  • all of the assemblies in the TFS Build Manager\VS2012 folder are strongly named
Since the assemblies in the Code Activities\VS2012 folder are not strongly named, you cannot add the files to the GAC (using gacutil -i {AssemblyName}).

Is there a technical reason why these Assemblies are not strongly named?

Thanks,
Jim.

P.S. I know that since the source code is available, I could download it and do the strong name compilations locally. However, I would prefer to avoid doing that if I can.
Oct 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Could you continue this discussion here -https://tfsbuildextensions.codeplex.com/discussions/317970

Right now signing is not planned and can be actioned with a key of choice against the downloaded code

Mike
Marked as answer by mikeFourie on 10/16/2013 at 11:50 AM