ClickOnceDeployment Activity

Sep 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Are there any examples or articles on the correct usage of ClickOnceDeployment activity? So far I have been unable to configure it the right way, which I suspect just means that I don't know how to use it correctly.

Thanks a lot.
Coordinator
Oct 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM
no sorry. any success yet? I can look into putting together a sample but it will be a few weeks. Are you getting a specific error?
Dec 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Ditto... :P
Jan 6, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Edited Jan 6, 2014 at 10:23 PM
I was wondering about documentation too. I did find the Team Foundation Build Customization Guide to be helpful. Starting on page 232 it walks through a various deployment options including one for this activity. As a side note, I ran into an issue deploying with my project compiled under MSIL. After looking at the source code, I see that its been hard coded to x86 (ugh). So someone needs to do a little maintenance on this activity to make it more configurable.
Marked as answer by mikeFourie on 2/9/2014 at 9:56 AM
Coordinator
Feb 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM
Marked as answer by mikeFourie on 2/9/2014 at 9:56 AM
Feb 13, 2014 at 2:25 AM
Alright, so I've gotten it integrated to the point that I can get it to throw up a somewhat useless error message. But here it is.

System.InvalidOperationException: Task attempted to log before it was initialized. Message was: Could not find required file 'setup.bin' in 'C:\windows\system32\Engine'.
at Microsoft.Build.Shared.ErrorUtilities.VerifyThrowInvalidOperation(Boolean condition, String resourceName, Object arg0)
at Microsoft.Build.Utilities.TaskLoggingHelper.LogError(String subcategory, String errorCode, String helpKeyword, String file, Int32 lineNumber, Int32 columnNumber, Int32 endLineNumber, Int32 endColumnNumber, String message, Object[] messageArgs)
at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.GenerateBootstrapper.Execute()
at TfsBuildExtensions.Activities.ClickOnce.ClickOnceDeployment.InternalExecute() in d:\Projects\CodePlex\teambuild2010contrib\CustomActivities\MAIN\Source\Activities\ClickOnce\ClickOnceDeployment.cs:line 140

Everything I've read about this says it needs to have the .NET 3.5 SDK installed (done). Have that and the .NET 4.0 SDK. Will keep searching and post with any findings.
Developer
Feb 18, 2014 at 3:46 AM
I don't know why msbuild can't find the Bootstrapper\engine folder. It appears .NET 4.5 changes the way this searches for the folder. I had 4.0 SDK installed (and Visual Studio) and I was getting the same error with just using MSBuild arguments and no custom activity. I had to copy the Engine folder to the solution folder to get it to temporarily work. I'm not sure why your folder shows system32 though. I'll look into this more.